Monday, January 7, 2013

My mind began to wander during my reading today. And I began to wonder how many people don't fully grasp the fact that God loves them? If we did in fact know and believe the Word of God, wouldn't Christians then be more joyful? A new believer has a certain glow to them, similar to the look in a man's eyes when he sees his newborn child. They have discovered the meaning of life, realized they were created for a purpose, know they are loved by their Creator, and want to share with anyone who will listen. Yet, I don't understand why with time we see God's Love differently, as if it suddenly becomes less significant.


It is the words of the well known verse John 3:16 that caused be to become sidetracked today. For me personally I have heard that verse probably 1000's of times. All throughout my life I went to church with my family, and in Sunday School that was the first verse I learned. I remember after I accepted Christ how excited I would get when a pastor used that verse in their sermon. I remember getting bubbly feeling knowing that was the verse that gave explanation to why joy could and did exist in my life. I remember Bro. Robert telling me to add my name to it to make it more personal, "For God so loved, Patrick..." There were many times where that verse alone helped me get through some of my darkest days.


But, recently I heard this verse, and I felt nothing. No joy, no excitement. In all honesty, I was slightly annoyed by it. So now I sit wondering how many people have grown to feel like "John 3:16" has become too repetitive? To some degree it reminds me of hearing someone use a cheesy pick-up line that every girl has already heard. Here it is you have a Bible with tons of verses, yet pastors keep using the same one. In many ways, John 3:16 has become like an overplayed song on the radio. When we first heard it, we loved it. But with time our interest faded.


I can't really say how long I have felt this way, nor what brought on this change. I'm sure the way the world portrays love has clouded the way we perceive God's Love. But as long as we live in this world, Satan is going to be at work constantly doing all he can to distort God's Word, His Love, and all He is. The moment we cease to pursue and love Christ is when sin finds its way into our lives.
And as long as sin controls us, we can't see God's Love through a clear lense.


One thing that I have learned in life is if there is an area in which I struggle, then most likely there are others who do as well. So, I ask, has God's Love lost its dazzle in your life? Has the truth that our Creator desires a relationship with you become old news? When is the last time you genuinely thanked God for loving you?


I still have a hard time not only comprehending God's Love, but how he could love me. It deeply troubles me that I would ever allow myself to so easily walk away God's Love, and take the Gift I've been given for granted. His Love is something that should be our motivation, the reason we wake up each day, and something that we get excited about. Because, without God's Love, what would we have?


"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." -John 3:16


**Don't ever let the fact that God loves you ever get old. It should amaze and excite you just as much today as it did the day He entered into your life.**

No comments:

Post a Comment